Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg's predecessors include distinguished chief executives under whose leadership Pitt's campus, academic mission, and reputation flourished.
Among them were:
William J. Holland (1891–1901), during whose tenure Pitt became coeducational and added the new schools (dental, law, medical, and pharmacy) and graduate programs that turned Pitt into a true university. During Holland's first year in office, enrollment increased by 35 percent to nearly 700 students. Pitt's current Music Building was once his home.
John G. Bowman (1921–45), who envisioned the Cathedral of Learning, built between 1926 and 1937. Also during Bowman's tenure, Pitt Stadium and Heinz Memorial Chapel were constructed, Stephen Foster Memorial was dedicated, the School of Nursing was founded, and Pitt's enrollment doubled to more than 14,000.
Edward H. Litchfield (1955–65), who spearheaded Pitt's rise to national prominence. While Litchfield was chancellor, Jonas Salk and his research team developed the first polio vaccine; Pitt acquired what are now the William Pitt Union and Schenley Quadrangle; and Hillman Library as well as Langley and Trees halls were constructed. Pitt's Litchfield Towers were named after him.
Wesley W. Posvar (1967–91), who began Pitt's transformation into a university of international stature. Under his chancellorship, the Frick Fine Arts Building was dedicated, the University Honors College and University Center for International Studies were created, Benedum Hall and the Law Building were constructed, and Pitt established its relationship with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Posvar Hall was named after him.
Pitt Chancellors (PDF)