Student-Athletes' Glory, Carved in Stone
Between the Cathedral of Learning and Heinz Chapel is a sidewalk called the Varsity Walk, where the names of outstanding Pitt student-athletes are embedded in the stones.
The Varsity Walk was conceived in 1950. The names of new members are added each year.
The hand-carved stones were first presented as the Athletic Committee Award and the Charles C. Hartwig Award. The Athletic Committee recognized the best athlete from any sport. The Charles Hartwig Award was given to the senior athlete who promoted and sponsored the best interests of Pitt athletics, in honor of the 1934 All-American tight end. In 1971, the award’s names were changed to Panther and Blue-Gold awards, respectively.
Today, the Panther Award is presented to the graduating senior-athlete who has promoted Pittsburgh athletics through his/her outstanding athletic achievement. The Blue-Gold Award is given to the seniors who best represent the student-athlete ideal based on academic scholarship, athletic achievement, leadership qualities, and citizenship.